A child develops a severe allergic reaction after being given a meal containing nuts
A nursery based in Waverley has been prosecuted after staff gave a child who was allergic to nuts a meal containing nuts. A full investigation has taken place and has found that staff training was inadequate. The young child was fed pesto by staff after parents repeatedly told the staff their child was allergic to nuts. After being given the pesto the child developed a severe allergic reaction leading to the child being rushed to a hospital. The child can out in hives and their ears, hands and arms became swollen.
Staff failed to check the pesto label for nuts before giving it to the child, despite being told the child was allergic to nuts. The label clearly stated it contained cashew nuts.
How are staff trained to deal with children’s allergies in your setting?