Top 5 tips on conducting Supervisions / 1:1’s
These sessions are designed for employees to discuss their contribution to the setting and tasks, which have been undertaken and their link to the aims and objectives of the organisation.
1) They normally take place once every six to eight weeks or can be termly if this works better or your setting
2) A clear objective / agenda should be set for the sessions.
Below are some specific areas that could be covered;
- Work priorities
- Review of set targets
- Training & Development
- Relevant discussions about staff (if the session is being conducted on a supervisor/manager)
- Areas of Concern
- Actions from previous supervision
3) Ensure that the person is clear on any actions to be carried out from the specific areas discussed. Realistic time scales must be implemented.
4) Feedback should be gained on all areas and documented. The document must contain signature blocks for both parties.
5) Each person to receive a signed copy of the Supervision / 1:1 document and a copy to be retained on file.