What Ofsted grade will you get for your quality of teaching, learning and assessment?
The Common Inspection Framework now focuses on the quality of teaching and how it impacts on the learning and development of children, therefore, managers and leaders need to ensure high-quality of teaching and learning is demonstrated throughout everyday practice.
Many people could argue that practitioners are not teachers but it’s not about teaching children, it’s about offering children high-quality learning opportunities in a stimulating environment. The quality of interaction between adult and children during child and adult led activities is highly important. It is practitioner’s responsibility to ensure children’s learning is maximized to enable children to reach their full potential.
Practitioners need to account for the equipment that is provided and the way the physical environment is also used.
A definition of outstanding quality teaching is:
- The quality of teaching is consistently of a very high quality
- Practitioners have a clear understanding of how children learn
- Children are provided with a rich, varied and imaginative experiences
- Practitioner complete assessments that are precise, fully focused, monitored and used to move the children on in their learning
- Children consistently demonstrate Characteristics of Effective Learning
During an Ofsted inspection, the inspector will make a judgment as to whether;
- Interactions with children are of high quality during both adults led and child led play.
- Adults motivate children
- Adults leave children alone to make their own discoveries and develop their own ideas
- Adults encourage children to become independent and support them to manage their personal needs
- Adults ask open-ended questions that challenge children to think and problem solve
- Adult model language
- Adults are skilled in knowing when to intervene in children’s play
In order for practitioners to demonstrate high-quality of teaching and learning they should have a clear understanding of how children learn. Effective teaching and learning are underpinned by a reflective approach to observation, assessment and planning.
To help managers monitor and evaluate practitioner’s high-quality of teaching and learning we have devised an observation tool for managers to use. To download the tool click here