Singing Nursery Rhymes in your setting
As we know singing nursery rhymes are a great way to introduce children to early phonic skills, it gives children the ability to hear, identify and manipulate letter sounds. Singing with children should be incorporated into everyday practice. When singing nursery rhymes it is providing children the opportunity to hear new words that they would not hear in everyday language. Learning new vocabulary is important for children as this provides them with tools to communicate with it. Not only does singing songs help children to learn sounds and patterns it teaches children that events happen in sequence, for example, a nursery rhyme will often tell a story with a beginning, middle, and an end.
When next singing nursery rhymes to children in your setting think about what children are learning from these experiences. Making nursery rhymes interactive is a fun learning experience for children especially when using props and involving the children.
Here are 10 great nursery rhymes to share with the children
- Old McDonald had a farm. Why not involve the children in choosing an animal from a selection.
- Tiny Tim. Don’t forget to use actions as children will enjoy copying
- Twinkle Twinkle little star. This is a firm favourite that children enjoy joining in using actions
- Row Row the boat. A great nursery that children can pair up with their friends to row the boat together.
- Hickory Dickory Dock. Use a finger mouse puppet and actions to engage the children, this will help them to follow the story line.
- Leo the Lion. This is a less familiar song but a very catchy nursery rhyme that children enjoy
- Wheels on the bus. A great action song for children to join in with
- One two three four five once I caught a fish alive. A simple nursery rhyme introducing children to simple maths concepts
- Five little ducks went swimming one day. Use puppets or props to support the song and make it interactive.
- Miss Polly had a dolly. Use the actions to support the song so children can copy the actions.
As we all know there are lots more nursery rhymes and songs you can share with children. Why not share your nursery rhymes video’s with us.
Click here to find out more about purchasing a Number Nursery Rhyme pack.