The authors of the research outlined a number of tragic cases that have occurred in recent years, one of which involved the death of a 17-month-old boy who choked on a grape at his home. Another case detailed a five-year-old boy who choked on a grape at an after school club, with first aid attempts by staff and an ambulance team unable to dislodge the fruit. The child went into cardiac arrest and, despite a paramedic managing to remove the grape with a special pair of forceps, unfortunately died.
It has been highly suggested that supermarkets and big chains should consider putting some choking hazard warning labels on grapes and other food sorts, just like they do on toys. This can help to educate parents and hopefully decrease the cases of choking.
It is also vital that parents, carers and professional know what to do if a child chokes. Many Early Years settings insist on all staff being first aid trained and able to act fast if they witness a child choking. However a number of parents are still unsure on the correct procedure for this.