Risk, Challenge and Adventure in the Early Years: A practical guide to exploring and extending learning outdoors
This practical guide explains what children learn from taking risks outdoors and how practitioners can provide safe learning opportunities for children outdoors.
Most children enjoy seeking out challenges and taking risks outdoors, this is important to their overall development. This helpful book explains why children should be exposed to taking risks outdoors and by offering stimulating and challenging experiences outdoors this will help develop thier learning and development.
Including examples of activities for all weather conditions across all areas of learning, the book covers:
- The pedagogical history of adventure, risk and challenge
- Health, wellbeing and keeping safe
- The adult role
- Risk assessment
- Supporting individual children with different needs
- Environments that enable challenging and adventurous play
- Working with parents and addressing concerns
- Observation, planning and assessment
By reading this book it will help practitioners and students to learn about the importance of providing rich learning experiences outdoors for children.