What childcare qualifications and training you need to work in childcare
To work in childcare you will need the relevant childcare qualifications; the minimum requirement is level 2 however most nurseries require practitioners to hold a level 3 qualification. If you are not qualified to the expected level there are many options in obtaining the right qualification either training on the job or through an apprenticeship route.
Depending on your experience and qualification with determine what job role you will be able to apply for. Managers who are responsible for the running of the nursery and the business are recommended to have higher level childcare qualifications eg level 4 or above and it is advisable to have managerial experience. Practitioners working in either day nurseries, pre schools or out of school clubs will require an early year’s qualification.
Below is a list of early education and childcare qualifications that are considered full and relevant, these were offered by various awarding organisations, and may be included in a level 3 apprenticeship framework:
- Level 3 NVQ in Caring for Children and Young People
- Level 3 NVQ in Childcare and Education
- Level 3 NVQ in Children’s Care, Learning and Development
- Level 3 NVQ in Early Years Care and Education
- Level 3 NVQ in Play work
- Level 3 Diploma in Play work (NVQ)
- Level 3 Diploma for the Children and Young People’s Workforce (Early Learning and Childcare)
The NNEB Certificate and Diploma are considered full and relevant at Level 3
If you have another level 3 qualification such as a teaching assistant qualification, this can also be considered as a full and relevant level 3 qualification. Below is a list of the level 3 courses that are considered to be relevant to work in childcare.
- Level 3 NVQ for Teaching Assistants
- Level 3 NVQ in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools
- Level 3 Diploma in Support Work in Schools
- Level 3 Diploma in Specialist Support in Teaching and Learning
- Level 3 National Diploma in Specialist Support in Teaching and Learning
- Level 3 Certificate for Teaching Assistants *
- Level 3 Certificate in Support Work in Schools
Practitioners who registered for a qualification from September 2014 must hold a qualification that meets the Early Years Criteria to be considered full and relevant and to be counted in the level 3 ratios.
To view a list of the qualifications that have so far met early years educator criteria click here.
To find out about the Level 3 Early Years Educator courses click here